Want to boost your home’s value, but don’t have the budget for a big renovation? Good news…you don’t need a big budget to make material improvements. When evaluating home improvements, it’s always a good idea to ask yourself if the money invested will be recouped in the sale of the home. The best renovations not only cover their costs but they can actually provide a nice return. The key, of course, is identifying those improvements which deliver the biggest bang for the smallest buck.
Here are five renovation projects which are both easy and inexpensive ways to dial up your home’s appeal and value:
- Paint the front door: You might not have the budget for full exterior paint job, but have you looked at your front door lately? It’s a focal point from the street and if it’s looking weathered, improving its appearance can have a disproportionate impact on your curb appeal. If the door’s design allows, add a new brass kickplate for an upscale classic look.
- Paint the foyer/entry way: Interior paint is an obvious improvement, but you don’t have to make it an all-or-nothing proposition. Where do people enter your home? Refresh that point of entry and make it look brand new.
- Change light fixtures and switch plates: You probably don’t even notice your light fixtures anymore, but buyers will. Swapping out the fixtures seldom requires an electrician’s skill and modernizing the look goes a long way. Same goes for switch plates, which may have grimy fingerprints or bent dimmer switches.
- Upgrade kitchen and bath fixtures: Do you need a new sink or do you just need a fresh faucet? It’s amazing how much a deluxe kitchen faucet upgrade can change perceptions of a kitchen. Same goes for the bathrooms: faucets and even a new toilet can do wonders.
- Garden upgrades: Fresh borders on your flower gardens, new flowers and fresh mulch are all small touches which refresh a home’s exterior.
Other relatively minor but effective tweaks include simplifying window treatments, re-glazing tubs (really NOT all that expensive), minimizing/ organizing closets…these are among many other simple fixes I can suggest.
Want a second pair of eyes to advise you on your modest remodeling? I’m happy to help you make a checklist to prepare your home for sale. Give me a call today to discuss a gameplan…you’ll be thrilled with the end result!